After a staff of Kenyon & Associates has filed your Federal and State Tax Returns, we will provide you a confirmation that the filings have been successfully sent to the IRS either digitally through eFiling or by mail.
You may be receiving a refund this year from the State of California and/or the Federal Government. In either case, you may wonder how fast you should expect to receive it and where it goes once it is approved by the IRS.
Both the Federal Government and the California Franchise Tax Board offer online tools so that you can check where your refund(s) are.
Federal Tax Refund Information
- We can arrange to have your refund deposited directly into one specific bank account or different accounts you own. If you prefer a check mailed to you, this can too be arranged by our staff. Simply let us know what is best for you.
- It typically takes the IRS 72 hours after the e-filing has been done to confirm that they received your filing. It can take up to 4 weeks, if the filing was mailed instead.
- After the confirmation is received, it will take the IRS additional time to issue the refund though the process can be a matter of days if we did e-filing. It will again take longer if they have to issue and mail a check. This is why we recommend e-filing whenever it is appropriate for your tax filing type and situation.
- The amount of time you wait to receive your tax refund varies. The IRS now provides a free and easy-to-use online tool that allows you to find out where your refund is. Simply use this link at any time. Make sure to have available your Social Security number, your filing status (single, married filing joint return, or other), and the exact amount you are expecting to receive. That information will be noted in the paperwork given to you by our staff upon the completion of your tax preparation.
- You can use the online tool 24 hours after we have filed your return for e-filing and 4 weeks if it had to be mailed.
California State Tax Refund Information
- Just as your Federal Tax Refund, we can arrange to have your refund deposited directly into different bank accounts or have it mailed directly to your home or business.
- For e-filing, the expected turn around time is about 2 weeks.
- For mailed-in returns to the state, the time line increases to 4 weeks.
- We invite your to visit this link provided by the California Franchise Tax Board to get a status update on your State Tax Refund.